The Lamorbey & Sidcup Local History Society was formed in 1952 as an off-shoot from a local history class that met at Lamorbey Park Adult Education Centre. Initially it was called the Local History Group, but was renamed "Society" in 1956. We shared Lamorbey Park with other Adult Education classes in the evening and during the day the Rose Bruford College used the premises.
In time the College expanded so much that it took over Lamorbey Park completely and we moved, along with other classes, to Alma Road Centre. Until 2003 the Society continued to meet at the Adult Education venue, until a change in policy prompted us to find alternative accommodation. The Society now meets monthly from January to December, with the exception of August, at St Lawrence's Church Hall, Main Road, Sidcup.
OFFICERS AND COMMITTEE MEMBERS FOR 2016-17
President: Mr Malcolm Barr-Hamilton
Vice-President: Mrs Frances Percival
Officers of the Society:
Chairman: Denise Baldwin
Treasurer: Janet Cooper
Secretary: Jennifer Willson
Membership Secretary: Christine Spencer
Katherine Harding, Philip Willson, Penny Duggan, Mary Kelly, Shirley McKeon (Programme Secretary), June Rowswell, Mike Corley
Please address enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
We were sorry to lose a long-term member of our society, John Mercer, who died on 8 September 2015.