Sir Harold Gillies and The Queen's Hospital

The Lamorbey and Sidcup Local History Society has installed ten display panels at the old library site in Hadlow Road, Sidcup to tell the story of the world-renowned hospital which later became Queen Mary’s Hospital.
In 1917 The Queen’s Hospital opened in the grounds of Frognal House, Sidcup. Under the leadership of surgeon Sir Harold Gillies, a multidisciplinary team reconstructed the faces of men who had been terribly injured while fighting in the First World War. The hospital became world-renowned for its ground-breaking procedures, and the pioneering work laid the foundations of modern plastic surgery.


The display on the hoardings at Hadlow Road is free and intended for all ages to learn more about the work of Sir Harold Gillies and his team. As Sidcup’s built environment undergoes change, the Lamorbey and Sidcup Local History Society is grateful to the residential developer BexleyCo Homes for the use of the former library site to promote Sidcup’s heritage.


All meetings are held in St Lawrence's Community Hall, Hamilton Road, Sidcup, starting at 7.30pm.

Contact us

Follow us

Follow on Facebook

Print | Sitemap
© Lamorbey and Sidcup Local History Society